Unsung heroes save man from burning car | News
EDMOND, Okla. -- It was supposed to be an ordinary trip to the pharmacy. But faulty wiring sparked a fast-moving fire, ending the trip before it began. Robert Zabel said, "I looked up and saw smoke coming from under the hood."
Zabel, 72, was in danger of burning alive.
He is disabled and was stuck on the lift as flames consumed his van.
Zabel said, "I was three to four feet up. Nothing was working and the flames were chewing at the back of my head and my shoulders. It was just everywhere. Flames were all around me. And I said you either jump or burn up and I wasn't burning up."
The former bronc rider unbuckled from his power chair, and jumped, face-first to the hard concrete below.
Luckily, several curious bystanders saw the plume of smoke and went to investigate.
Dr. John Carver was among the unsung heroes who came to his rescue.
"He was really close to losing his life. He could have burned up in a moment. I'm glad the other man and lady stopped and had the courage to help," Dr. Carver said.
Robert and Vivian Zabel recently got to meet and personally thank one of their mystery rescuers.
Dr. Carver was recognized by the city of Edmond for his act of heroism.
The Zabels would still like to locate and thank the other citizens who came to the rescue.