UPDATE: Residents rescue others as apartment complex goes up in flames | News
OKLAHOMA CITY -As colder temperatures arrived in the state, six families are now looking for a new place to stay after a fire destroyed their apartment complex.
Jacqueline Melfah said, “Oh my goodness, that’s my apartment there too, but thank God for renter’s insurance.”
Melfah is still stunned after a massive blaze tore through the Villas at Stone Apartments, located in the 7500 block of Lyrewood Ln.
Oklahoma City Battalion Chief Brian Stanaland said the fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. Friday morning.
Firefighters say the blaze started near a second floor chimney.
Melfah said, “I guess the lady lit her fireplace. Everybody was in there and they thought it was just a regular fireplace burning, but it was actually fire on top. I don’t think people understood what was going on. Just the shock of everything.”
Her quick thinking got others to safety.
She said, “So we just got everybody out. I ran around to the other side. The smoke was so thick, trying to get another lady out.”
Chief Stanaland said, “We did have reports of two people inside. We did a search and did not find anyone so we believe everyone has escaped without injury.”
Firefighters were forced to evacuate other parts of the building as the fire continued to grow.
Stanaland said crews had to peel away layers of the roof and the freezing temperatures made the job that much harder.
He said, “We’re also facing the issue of some ice build up out here due to the water we have to use to extinguish the fire.”
Officials say six units were damaged and 15 people were displaced as a result of the fire.
However, all the tenants are safe.