Firefighters called to old library building twice in one day | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The historic Oklahoma City Library caught on fire twice in one day Friday.
A demolition company called Total Demolition was working inside the old library when both fires sparked just house apart.
Rocky Jackson is Operations Manager for the company. He says crews are working to turn the library into residential lofts.
The company says welders were torching inside when both fires started.
They unexpectedly hit the insulation, but Jackson say workers have a fire plan in place.
“There’s two guys up there that are fire watch while another guy is actually doing the torching,” said Jackson. “We were actually up there putting it out. There was some smoke coming out of the top, but everything was contained.”
However, Battalion Chief Tommy Iago says two separate fires in one day at the same building is not normal.
“They’re obviously not doing something up to code, and we’re going to make sure they follow the proper guidelines,” saod Iago.
Total demolition says they are following guidelines.
‘We were following city protocol. Nobody got hurt,” said Jackson.
The fire department is investigating to make sure code is being followed.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses