Coburn leads boycott against embattled nominee | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- A U.S. senator from Oklahoma is leading a boycott against the president’s nominee for the deputy homeland security chief.
Sen. Tom Coburn is leading a boycott of a confirmation hearing for Alejandro Mayorkas.
He says it would be unfair to the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee to hold a confirmation hearing while Mayorkas is under information.
In a statement, Coburn said, “Holding this hearing in light of an active investigation into serious, relevant allegations of professional misconduct by the nominee, and over the objections of the ranking member and others, appears to be virtually without precedent in the history of this or any other Senate committee.”
Mayorkas is under scrutiny for allegations that he improperly intervened to help a company get visas for Chinese investors.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses
- New face coming to the Oklahoma City Thunder before tonight’s game
- Naked, growling man allegedly assaults father and police
- Oklahoma man arrested, accused of going to mailbox naked, lewd acts in front yard with boy