Coburn leads boycott against embattled nominee | News
OKLAHOMA CITY- A U.S. senator from Oklahoma is leading a boycott against the president’s nominee for the deputy homeland security chief.
Sen. Tom Coburn is leading a boycott of a confirmation hearing for Alejandro Mayorkas.
He says it would be unfair to the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee to hold a confirmation hearing while Mayorkas is under information.
In a statement, Coburn said, “Holding this hearing in light of an active investigation into serious, relevant allegations of professional misconduct by the nominee, and over the objections of the ranking member and others, appears to be virtually without precedent in the history of this or any other Senate committee.”
Mayorkas is under scrutiny for allegations that he improperly intervened to help a company get visas for Chinese investors.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New bill would prevent teens from accessing e-cigarettes
- City crews overwhelmed while on pothole patrol
- Firefighters fill truck with Christmas gifts for kids in DHS custody
- Alleged smash and grab burglar causes more damage to business than just stolen items
- OKC school board drops plan to stop sixth graders from going to Classen SAS