Utility company repairing damage after explosion downtown | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – An underground transformer exploded sparking a small fire in downtown Oklahoma City Friday night.
Oklahoma Gas and Electric workers were working in the tunnel below the street when the transformer malfunctioned near Park Ave. and Broadway.
Witnesses saw smoke and flames coming up through an opening in the sidewalk.
Oklahoma City Fire Department Battalion Chief Tommy Lago said there were three people in the tunnel.
All of them are OK.
“They went down about 12 to 15 feet,” Lago said. “There is an underground tunnel under there that holds all the utilities down there and that’s where the equipment is and that’s where the transformer was that caught on fire.”
Authorities blocked off a section of Park Ave. for about an hour Friday night.
OG&E crews are working to repair the damage.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Temperatures below -200 degrees freezing pain away, boosting energy in new technique
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- Judge denies stay of execution for inmates questioning lethal injection drug
- Storm stranded cars bring big bucks to local business
- Alleged thief tunnels through walls to burglarize several businesses