New Jersey town honors OGE, changes name for day | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – After Superstorm Sandy, OG&E crews spent six days helping to restore power in New Jersey.
Now a N.J. town is honoring and thanking the company for their efforts; Glen Rock, N.J., changed its name to Oklahoma G&E for a day.
According to OG&E, Glen Rock Mayor John van Keuren was surprised to learn the crews in the orange trucks had driven all the way from Oklahoma to restore power to his borough’s 12,000 residents.
“Mayor van Keuren told me that many residents of Glen Rock had been without power for over a week before our storm crews arrived,” Kathleen O’Shea said, OGE spokeswoman. “He was amazed at how friendly our crews were to everyone. I told him that’s just how Oklahomans are. So, this proclamation is an honor not just for OG&E, but for all Oklahomans.”
O’Shea said the N.J major issued the proclamation to change the borough’s name.
Whereas, since colonial times, one of this country’s most fundamental unwritten but understood rules of community conduct is that we citizens look out for each other, and
Whereas, when a community experiences a major calamity and the essential assistance needed to repair the damage and restore the fabric of the community arrives quickly from a great distance, and
Whereas when those who provide the assistance show great compassion and fortitude and graciousness while performing the repairs in an efficient way,
Then, according to another of the understood rules of conduct, the community must respond with equal graciousness, so …
- Because the residents of Glen Rock appreciate the speed with which the OG&E crews responded to our need for power restoration, and
- Because the residents of Glen Rock value the professionalism of their work,
Now Therefore, to adhere to the national rule of community conduct and to show that we haven’t forgotten our manners, it is the decision of its governing body that on December 10, 2012, from 12:01 AM to 11:59 PM, the name of the Borough of Glen Rock will be changed to Oklahoma G&E, NJ 07452.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Doctors, businesses prepare for winter-related injuries across metro area
- UPDATE: FBI arrests woman accused of robbing local bank
- Medics respond to car accidents, slips and falls related to ice storm
- EMSA urging safety for kids sledding in record low temperatures
- Tips to make sure you don’t struggle while shoveling snow