OKC man arrested for sexual relationship with 13-year-old girl | Crime
OKLAHOMA CITY — A 22-year-old Oklahoma City man is behind bars accused of rape.
The man is accused of having a lengthy ongoing sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl.
The investigation began when the victim’s grandmother called police earlier this week.
The victim had been living with the suspect for several months.
As so many cases do, this one starts online.
The 22-year-old man meets a girl claiming to be 19.
“She told him she was 19. Her online profile said she was 19years old. He said he had every reason to believe she was 19 years old,” Oklahoma City police MSgt. Gary Knight said.
Eight months ago the pair moved in together in a northwest Oklahoma City home.
Police reports show the girl recently got tired of lying about her age and confessed to the suspect, identified as Chaseton Cox, that she’s actually underage.
“Apparently she just recently confessed that she was 15. As it turns out she is really 13,” Knight said.
Police said even if Cox believed the girl to be of legal age, that doesn’t let him off the hook.
“Ignorance of the law is no excuse,” Knight said. “If you’re going to move in with a girl who appears to be 13, the duty is on you to check that.”
The suspect remains behind bars in the Oklahoma County jail.
He’s being held on a $50,000 bond.
Upcoming Events near North Oklahoma City
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Volunteers preparing for Red Andrews Christmas Dinner, in need of donations
- UPDATE: No one injured in car vs. fire hydrant accident in southeast Oklahoma City
- Woman warns others after burglars steal gifts outside local steakhouse
- OKC father killed in crash, 5-year-old son uninjured; police arrest driver for DUI
- Medical Examiner confirms now 8 weather-related deaths in Oklahoma